Affiliated Support Group Application
The Oregon Christian Home Education Association Network, also known as OCEANetwork, is a state-wide volunteer service organization for Christian homeschoolers in Oregon. The primary thrust of our service is helping local support group leaders as they serve home school families in their area. We call the relationship we develop with local Christian homeschool support groups "affiliation," and your group would be an OCEANetwork Affiliated Support Group. As stated in the OCEANetwork by-laws, we believe that each group is autonomous. Though we are "affiliated" with your group, we do not intrude on the functioning of your group.
The OCEANetwork has a "distinctly and forthrightly Christian" approach to its services. Leaders that wish to affiliate with OCEANetwork need to be able to agree with OCEANetwork's statement of faith and statement of purpose. There are two main reasons for requiring a signed statement of faith from leaders. 1) We are instructed to seek counsel from those like-minded within the household of faith. OCEANetwork appreciates the input of godly counsel from Affiliated Support Group Leaders. 2) Christian families looking for Christian home education support can feel comfortable turning to OCEANetwork Affiliated Support Groups.
Services provided to Affiliated Support Groups:
The Support Group primary contact, political action contact, and newsletter editor receive a monthly issue of OCEANetwork Currents. We encourage groups to copy Currents in its entirety into their local newsletters.
Political Alert System:
Leaders and members of the support group are welcome to subscribe to the OCEANetwork Information and Alert System.
OCEANetwork is the Oregon link to the Congressional Action Program of the National Center for Home Education. This program is designed to influence federal legislation dealing with home education and the twin foundations of home education liberties: freedom of religion and parental rights. Be a part of it!
15% Home School Legal Defense Association discounts for Affiliated Support Group members. To take advantage of the group discount, leaders must contact the Padillas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Discounts for Affiliated Support Group Leaders to events sponsored by OCEANetwork, including the annual Oregon Christian Home Education Conference and to publications produced by OCEANetwork.
If your group is open to referrals, first time homeschoolers seeking a Christian support group will be directed to your designated contact. (This information is provided by you on the affiliation form)
Counsel & Advice:
Leaders of Affiliated Support Groups have ready access to OCEANetwork board members for counsel, advice, or a shoulder to cry on.
OCEANetwork hosts leadership support meetings at the Conference and at other events across the state. Leaders can exchange information and are encouraged to give direct input to the OCEANetwork board.
OCEANetwork Board Members gladly travel to your support group to meet with leaders or to speak to members on a host of issues ranging from beginning homeschooling to current political action.
The OCEANetwork makes leadership training opportunities available to board members and potential board members of local support groups.
For over a decade OCEANetwork has attended the National Christian Home Education Leadership Conference bringing back information, godly counsel, and organizational insight to pass on to Oregon leaders and families.
Criteria for affiliation with the OCEANetwork:
1. Support group leaders agree with OCEANetwork's statement of faith and statement of purpose. (This requirement is not imposed on your support group membership.)
2. Support group meetings are conducted in a manner that would honor the Lord Jesus Christ. This is a matter between the support group leaders and the Lord. There will be no "Board of Inquiry" into the conduct of the group. This is important to OCEANetwork because the majority of those asking us for support share basic Biblical beliefs.
3. The Affiliated Support Group is asked to make a contribution to OCEANetwork. Support group services are financed by contributions from Affiliated Support Groups and individual contributors. Support groups that are unable to make the financial contribution are encouraged to submit their application. As God provides, the group can make a contribution at a later time. Affiliation is granted because the group leadership displays a desire to provide Christian leadership to local homeschoolers and not due to an ability to pay.
4. Annually submit an updated application to maintain affiliation.
5. Either party has the right to terminate the relationship by providing notice in writing.
Please complete this form, have the board member sign it and return it to OCEANetwork Affiliated Support Groups, 27880 SW Baker Rd., Sherwood, OR 97140.
(The form is in a PDF format - if you do not have an ACROBAT reader click here. Hard copy forms can be requested at the above address)