|Pray for Those in Authority
By: Dick & Dorothy Karman
Pray without ceasing
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; 1 Timothy 2: 1-3
We are reminded throughout scripture that God individually placed our "rulers" and "those in eminent position" in their place of authority. Scripture also tells us that it is our responsibility to pray for these men and women "that we may lead quiet and peaceable lives in all godliness and honesty."
We must not loose heart, but remember that "the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
Our quiet and peaceable lives are in the hands of our lawmakers. Sixteen of those positions have input into areas that directly affect your life. They are The President, 2 U.S. Senators, the U.S. Congressman from your district, the Governor, your State Senator, your State Representative, and the nine Supreme Court Justices. Has it ever occurred to you to pray for these men and women by name? God promises that this prayer "would availeth much."
Pastor Charles Stanley, of Atlanta, Georgia, has suggested ten ways to pray:
1. Pray that they would realize their daily need for cleansing of their sin by Jesus Christ.
2. Pray that they would recognize their personal inadequacy to fulfill their tasks and that they would depend upon God for knowledge, wisdom, and the courage to do what is right.
3. Pray that they would reject all counsel that violates spiritual principles, trusting God to prove them right.
4. Pray that they would resist those who would pressure them to violate their conscience.
5. Pray that they would reverse the trends of socialism and humanism in this nation, both of which deify man rather than God.
6. Pray that they would be ready to sacrifice their personal ambitions and political careers for the sake of this nation, if yielding them would be in the best interest of their country.
7. Pray that they would rely upon prayer and the Word of God as the source of their daily strength, wisdom and courage.
8. Pray they would restore dignity, honor, trustworthiness, and Righteousness to the office they hold.
9. Pray that they would remember to be good examples in their conduct to the fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters of this nation.
10. Pray that they would be reminded daily that they are accountable to Almighty God for the decisions they make.
Make this a family project and part of your homeschool.
This article is available for reprint in a "hard copy" publication by permission ONLY. To request permission to reprint Pray for Those in Authority, please click here.