|Top 10 Reasons to Attend the OCEANetwork Conference
By: Polk Christian Home Educators
Top Ten Reasons to Attend OCEANetwork’s Annual Conference
By Heather Church, in the "Little Home Schoolhouse" e-newsletter of Polk Christian Home Educators
Mark your calendars for the annual statewide homeschool conference held this year on Friday, June 22, and Saturday, June 23, at the Convention Center in Portland. In case you need a little convincing, here are the “Top Ten Reasons to Attend!”
10. Introduce Someone to Home Education: This is a great place to bring a friend or family member who has questions about homeschooling. The conference atmosphere is so friendly, positive and uplifting that even the staunchest skeptic will find themselves recognizing the benefits of parents-directed education and discipleship.
9. Annual Statewide Graduate Recognition: Come and celebrate with homeschool graduates and their families during the Graduate Recognition Ceremony. The commencement speaker is a great source of inspiration for parents and teens alike.
8. Conference Recordings: CD and MP3 recordings of every session and workshop during the conference are available for purchase. This is a great way to continue enjoying the conference throughout the year and you can also share the recordings with someone who wasn’t able to attend the conference.
7. Exhibit Hall: The list of curriculum vendors is extensive and there are ample opportunities to shop during the conference. Representatives are available to answer your questions and many of the vendors offer free shipping on orders placed at the conference. In addition to the curriculum vendors, there are representatives from HSLDA, ParentalRights, Salem Debate Club, and many other wonderful homeschool organizations.
6. Used Curriculum Sale: There is a huge amount of curriculum of every sort to choose from at this sale. Not only is the shopping great, but you can sell your own used curriculum as well. Don't miss this wonderful resource.
5. Nationally Recognized Speakers: You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll thank God for sending someone who understands the joys and challenges of being a home school parent. Not only will you enjoy listening to the wisdom, wit and warmth of some of the veterans of home education during the conference sessions and workshops, you will be able to visit with the speakers one-on-one during breaks and between sessions. Your children will enjoy these speakers as well and they will be encouraged to realize they’re not the only children being home educated.
4. Meet the OCEANetwork Board: Who are these dedicated, hardworking, servant-hearted people? They’re moms and dads, just like you, who volunteer their time and energy to serve Oregon homeschool families. You will be blessed and amazed as you recognize that this generous group of individuals work from their homes throughout the year to provide support and encouragement in a wide variety of ways. Take the time to thank them for what they do!
3. Fellowship: Come and reconnect with old friends and make new friends as you enjoy the opportunity to spend time with a large number of other homeschool families from near and far.
2. Vision: Investing the time to attend the conference and listen to godly men and women share from their hearts about the value of home education will renew and revitalize your vision.
The number one reason to attend Conference…
1. Encouragement! This is one of the most encouraging homeschool events you could possibly attend, and it provides a much needed boost as you wrap up your school year.
This article is available for reprint in a "hard copy" publication by permission ONLY. To request permission to reprint Top 10 Reasons to Attend the OCEANetwork Conference, please click here.