|Top 10 Reasons to Attend the OCEANetwork Conference
By: Polk Christian Home Educators
Top Ten Reasons to Attend OCEANetwork’s Annual Conference
By Heather Church, in the "Little Home Schoolhouse" e-newsletter of Polk Christian Home EducatorsMark your calendar for the upcoming annual statewide homeschool conference Friday, June 20, and Saturday, June 21, 2014, at the Convention Center in Portland. In case you need a little convincing, here are the "Top Ten Reasons to Attend"
10. Introduce Someone to Home Education: This is a great event to bring a friend or family member who has questions about homeschooling. The conference atmosphere is so friendly, positive and uplifting that even the staunchest skeptic will find themselves recognizing the benefits of parent-directed education and family discipleship.
9. Volunteer: An event this size requires the involvement of many volunteers, and opportunities abound for you to serve. There are positions for individuals, couples, and families, so be sure to check out the volunteer positions posted on the OCEANetwork website when conference registration opens.
8. Conference Recordings: CD and MP3 recordings of the conference sessions and workshops are available for purchase. This is a great way to continue benefiting from the encouragement of the conference throughout the year, and you can share your recordings with someone who wasn't able to attend.
7. Exhibit Hall: The list of curriculum vendors is extensive, and there are ample opportunities to shop during the conference. Representatives are available to answer your questions, and many of the vendors offer free shipping on orders placed at the conference. In addition to the curriculum vendors, there are representatives from HSLDA, ParentalRights, TeenPact, and other wonderful local and national homeschool organizations.
6. Used Curriculum Sale: There is a huge amount of curriculum of every sort to choose from, and not only is the shopping great, but you can sell your own used curriculum as well. Don't miss this wonderful resource.
5. Nationally and Locally Recognized Speakers: You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll thank God for sending someone who understands the joys and challenges of being a homeschool parent. Not only will you enjoy listening to the wit, wisdom and warmth of some of the veterans of home education during the conference sessions and workshops, you will also be able to visit with the speakers one-on-one during breaks and between sessions. Your children will enjoy these speakers as well, and they will be reminded of the benefits of being home educated.
4. Meet the OCEANetwork Board: Who are these dedicated, servant-hearted people? They are moms and dads (and grandparents!) just like you, who volunteer their time and energy to serve Oregon homeschool families. You will be blessed and amazed as you recognize that this generous group of individuals work from their homes throughout the year to provide support and encouragement in a wide variety of ways. Take the time to thank them for what they do!
3. Fellowship: Reconnect with old friends and make new friends as you enjoy the fellowship of homeschool families from near and far. Bring your children and dispel the myth that they're the only ones being homeschooled.
2. Vision: Investing the time to attend the conference and listen to godly men and women share from their hearts about the value of home education and family discipleship will renew and revitalize your vision.
The number one reason to attend Conference . . .
1. Encouragement! This is one of the most encouraging homeschool events you could possibly attend, and it provides a much needed boost as you wrap up your school year and look to the future. The role of a homeschool parent can feel weighty, and a message you'll hear repeated often at the conference is, "well done, good and faithful servant."
This article is available for reprint in a "hard copy" publication by permission ONLY. To request permission to reprint Top 10 Reasons to Attend the OCEANetwork Conference, please click here.