Welcome to your free quickstart course on getting started homeschooling in Oregon!
You’ll find 6 short video sessions below with supporting information and links. The course finishes off with an opportunity to sign up for a comprehensive 2-week course for homeschool parents!
- Who is OCEANetwork?
- Know Your Why: Casting the Vision for Homeschooling
- Homeschooling Laws in Oregon
- Get Ready to Start Homeschooling
- Get Connected with OCEANetwork and Oregon Homeschoolers
- Protect Your Freedom to Homeschool in Oregon
- Want to Dive Deeper Into Homeschooling?
A Gift for You: Oregon Homeschooling Starter Package!
Before you dive into the free course, we’ve created an Oregon homeschooling starter package. Along with the course, it give a great head start into your homeschool year! It’s completely free — our gift to you! — and includes:
- Oregon Homeschool Planning Starter Pack
- Homeschooling in Oregon Cheat Sheet
- Oregon Capitol Field Trip Printable Pack
- Free Oregon Homeschool Magazine
- Oregon Unit Study
Get Your Oregon Homeschool Starter Package!
Join our mailing list to receive the Oregon Homeschool Starter Package and get future Oregon homeschooling and Freedom Watch Updates.
We’re glad to welcome you to explore the world of homeschooling! Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the course or about homeschooling in Oregon.
Quickstart Guide: Get Started Homeschooling in Oregon
Lesson 1: Who is OCEANetwork?
- About OCEANetwork
- Annual Oregon Christian Home Education Conference (The 2020 homeschool conference was online. Registration and content access are open through April 2021.)
- Annual Graduate Recognition event
- OCEANetwork Web Site and Blog
- Sign up for Emails & a FREE print magazine
- About the Freedom Watch Team
- Apple Pie Day event where families join OCEANetwork to connect with legislators and build those relationships, which is important when bills come up that compromise homeschool freedoms
- Become an OCEANetwork Supporting Family
- Connect with us on Facebook on our page and on our Homeschooling in Oregon FB group
- Join the OCEANetwork volunteer team to help support homeschool freedom in Oregon!
Lesson 2: Casting the Vision for Homeschooling
- Action item: Spend some time talking with your family about your “why” for homeschooling. Whether it’s bullet points to post on a board or a full description, writing out your WHY can help keep you on track.
- Action item: Choose one or more Scriptures that you can pray as you begin the homeschool journey. Here are some additional articles and resources that will help you with this step!
- Free Printable Planner (includes a page for vision, goals, and priorities)
- Our Children Belong to God, Not the State
- Homeschooling: Not Just an Educational Option
- NOT Back to School
Lesson 3: Homeschool Laws in Oregon
- Review the template provided for the notification of intent to homeschool
- Review the Summary of Homeschool Law, which includes links to specific topics such as special needs, interscholastic sports, etc.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Oregon homeschool laws apply ONLY to independent homeschooling and NOT to government-funded educational options, including charter schools. Read more information about this legal distinction between charter schools vs. homeschooling and some issues to be aware of.
Lesson 4: Get Ready to Start Homeschooling
- Learn about homeschool methods & teaching styles.
- Review the various learning styles and ideas for teaching to each one.
- Review the Curriculum Guide to get familiar with different options.
- Browse the homeschool resources shopping page
- Here’s the recommended reading list for homeschool parents.
- How Do I Know What to Teach My Child and When
- What About Charter Schools in Oregon?
- 10 Tips for Homeschooling Multiple Ages
- Graduation Requirements & Homeschool Diplomas
As you collect information and prepare to homeschool, you’ll want to begin building up your support system as well. In the next video, we’ll talk about how to get connected!
Lesson 5: Get Connected with OCEANetwork and Oregon Homeschoolers
- Learn about the annual Oregon Christian Home Education Conference. (The 2020 homeschool conference was online. Registration and content access are open through April 2021.)
- Explore the other great events OCEANetwork offers homeschoolers.
- Search our group database to find an affiliated support group in your area
- Join our Homeschooling in Oregon Facebook group.
Lesson 6: Protect Your Homeschool Freedoms
- Sign up for emails that include homeschool Freedom Watch alerts.
- Become an OCEANetwork Supporting Family or make a tax-deductible donation to help support homeschool freedom (donations of $50 or more a year make you a Supporting Family).
- Join as an OCEANetwork volunteer and help us to keep working for Oregon homeschool families.
- Watch this short video on the history of homeschooling in Oregon.
- It is important that we never take our freedoms for granted, but instead work TOGETHER to protect them!
We are praying for your family and your journey in homeschooling! Feel free to contact us anytime with questions.
~ The OCEANetwork Team
Want to Dive Deeper Into Homeschooling?
We’re pleased to present the Start Strong Oregon course! This fantastic 2-week course for beginning homeschoolers will pick up where we left off in the free Get Started Homeschooling in Oregon quickstart course above. With Start Strong Oregon, you’ll get wonderful videos, articles, master classes, printables, and more. It’s loaded with practical help and encouragement!